Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Glad to see this on the front page but...

I'm not the only one interested in Google's transparency report--they are, too.

Although, I'm more than a little disappointed they didn't include copyright violation takedown requests in the article.  Censorship is censorship is censorship--whatever the reason.  Whether you agree with it or not, let's call it what it is.

I do have to say that it is highly desirable that Google has chosen this transparency route.  I know they have to be under a lot of pressure from all quarters.  But I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be better for them to just tell all comers to fuck off--China, the U.S.A., MPAA, everybody.  Even from a shareholder point of view, I think protecting their reputation as honest broker may be a more important long term win for them than complying with even the most reasonable censorship demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment