Thursday, July 19, 2012

What is the difference between downloading and listening?

Q: Is it wrong to download music you haven't paid for?

A: Yes!

Q: Ok, what if I download it but never listen to it?

A: Well, er, yes, it's still wrong.

Q: Why?

A: Because you haven't paid for it!

<pause>

Q: Okay, so is it wrong to listen to a song I haven't paid for?

A: Of course not.

Q: What if I listen to it on the internet when I haven't paid for it?

A: Well, er, is it on YouTube or something?

Q: I don't know.  Is it?

A: Well if it's on YouTube then it's okay.

Q: But the artist usually didn't upload it.

A: But they have ads on it!  Or something.

Q: Okay, putting that aside, what if it's not YouTube.

A: Well that's not okay.

Q: So YouTube is the only legitimate free source of listening to music on the internet?

A: Well I don't know.

Q: And do you realize that when you "listen" to something on the internet, you are also "downloading" it, or you wouldn't be able to hear it?

A: You're confusing the issue!

Q: That's funny, I'm trying to clarify it.

A: You are a bad man.

Q: Yes, yes I am.  Apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment