Friday, September 14, 2012

The rise of douchebaggery

There have always been douchebags.  It just seems to be all the rage these days.

In the past, companies would actually invest in their workers--they were considered part of the team.  This is what helped build our important middle class.

But these days MBA's have advanced "business theory" to the point that workers are only "human resources".  Under that line of thought, you would no more invest in an employee than give a bonus to the photocopier.

This is the same line of logic that says, "people don't like talking to our automated phone system, so we'll replace it with humans who are forbidden to deviate from a script."

That is douchebaggery.

I think it is this same way of thinking that justifies running around suing people for entertainment piracy, and bribing Congress to pass draconian copyright protection laws that will destroy the real value of the internet.

It is only a groundswell of offense from the public which can ever change this.  People have to get tired of it and demand change.  And the only way that will happen is if we an convince enough people of this point of view.  Which is why I write this blog.

I think it's been a bit of a boiling frog syndrome, to the point that folks who have grown up in this environment think it is normal.  Which it may well be, historically speaking.  But I like to think we're better than that.

It would honestly irritate me a little less if it wasn't a matter of corporate profits going to the CEO and other high ranking executives, but going to the owners of companies.  But public company stockholders have gotten quite used to the idea that the only increase in value for their investment should be in the stock price (as opposed to dividends or other considerations).  Company profits go to a privileged class of employee, instead.  Frat boy douchebags.  They aren't entrepreneurs, they are professional ass kissers and networkers.

And so the middle class shrinks while the idea of protecting human dignity is perceived as a cost center to be eliminated.




2 comments:

  1. Corporate douchebaggery is why I have never bought a version of Windows.

    I have bought a couple of Apple products (sfw & hw) for my girlfriend.

    I don't buy media of any type, I get movies from the library, watch TCM and copy streams from KCRW & Paradise radio to listen to later.

    When I do occasionally watch television, I run it through MythTV to so I can at least skip the more offensive commercials.

    In other words, I do everything I can to NOT give money to douchebag companies and still live a marginally modern life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's actually fairly easy to do that, if you are even a little patient. It does help to have some technical skills or at least technical confidence, though.

    ReplyDelete