I've been compiling a list of traits of the bad bosses I've had over the past few years.
I was lucky to work at a tiny company where everyone was competent and at least desired to do good work. We didn't agree on everything, to say the least, but I grew naive thinking that was normal, there.
Since then I've had to do some painful growing up. So here goes:
1. They never say "please". I believe this is because deep down they are insecure about their position---they know they are not really leadership material, so they have to put on airs of "being in charge". Fucking idiots.
2. They never listen to their subordinates, but only seek to please their peers and superiors. I'm not saying you need to do everything your subordinates say--not hardly. But a good leader does listen carefully to their subordinates, because that is the only way to understand what is going on.
3. They always have lots of meetings to go to. Because that is a very easy way to look like you are doing something useful. They think.
4. They never admit they don't know something about how to do their job. Back to the insecurity thing, and also the not listening to subordinates thing. What it really does is make them look like goddamn fools.
5. They never attempt to talk to you as if you are a human being. Because they are not really leaders, they think they have to act high and mighty.
And this is what's wrong with the world today. Merry Christmas!