Friday, June 1, 2012

So I bought an e-book

I'm on vacation this week, and thus I do not have access to the wealth of technological junk normally available in my home.

I finished reading Dune (the copy I checked out from the library and stripped the DRM out of) and I may have deleted it off my Kindle.  Or not. I forget, but I will if I see it there again.

So I decided I wanted to go ahead and re-read the second book in the series, too.  I recall the series dragging the farther along it goes (but don't let that discourage you from reading the first book, a masterpiece by any measure), but I just enjoyed it so much I figured why not.

Problem being, my particular Kindle doesn't have wifi, so to check out an e-book from the library I have to connect it via USB to my computer.  But I am on vacation and don't have access to an extra USB cable.

That's not to say I couldn't get it for free another way.  I could torrent it to my PC, ftp the file to my personal website, telnet to the Kindle--crap!  you need a USB cable to do that.

The Kindle has a simple web browser, but I wasn't sure it could download files or not...and didn't care to experiment to find out.  Because I'm on vacation, and that includes from geekery (other than this blog).

So the easiest solution, by far, was simple to enable the 3G connection on the Kindle and purchase it from Amazon for about eight bucks.

$8 for a 40 year old book, the author long dead.

But I guess that's the price I was willing to pay for convenience.

While I'm on vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment