Saturday, October 20, 2012

My first phoney DMCA takedown request

So I'm so happy today.  I got my first phony DMCA takedown request.

You may or may not be aware that I have been working several years on a video game.  You may or may not be surprised to learn that when I used other people's work in it, I went out of my way to get permission or license the work.  After all, this is a money making (in theory!) proposition!

So I was surprised to get an email from ebay about one of the trailers I posted there.  This one, to be exact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YsN-RheueI

This is what the notice currently looks like:



I followed there instructions and disputed it, naturally.  But in the meantime, they've muted the sound because they assume I'm "guilty" even though their notice says my video "may include the following copyrighted content".

So the DMCA filer doesn't even have to be sure.

Now, in this case I did search for "乃木坂46-松村沙友理×多田卓也" and ran across this video:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDM0Nzg4Mjk2.html

And indeed, the song that starts about  half way through is the same song.

So...we licensed the same song from the same person.  And yet these assholes feel like they own it exclusively and are running around trying to censor other people who are using it.

Also...do we enforce foreign copyrights under the DMCA?  I would have thought we only protect our own copyrights with bullshit like this.

Anyway, you see I will get a response by 11/17/2012--so for most of a month, at minimum, I am SOL.

Not happy.  Not happy at all.

I'll be reporting more as information comes in.  First thing I'm going to do is locate the person I licensed the music from and have a chat.

Oh by the way, Google sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment